10 – 16 May 2021
Nature and the Environment
- MIND https://www.mind.org.uk for lots of resources including helpline (see below)
- RETHINK MENTAL ILLNESS https://www.rethink.org for a focus on severe mental illness and support for carers, helpline available (see below)
- MENTAL HEALTH FOUNDATION https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/ has an emphasis on prevention
Coronavirus and Mental Health
Helplines and sources of help
- Urgent advice Telephone 111
- Emergencies Telephone 999
- Samaritans: Telephone 116 123 (available 24 hours a day, every day)
- MIND: Telephone 0300 123 3393 or Text 86463
- Rethink: 0808 801 0525
- Family Lives: Telephone 0808 800 2222
Local Mental Health Resources
EMERGENCY MENTAL HEALTH CARE 24 hours
St Pancras Hospital, 4 St Pancras Way, NW1 0PE telephone 0203 317 6333
TAVISTOCK CENTRE https://tavistockandportman.nhs.uk
120 Belsize Lane, NW3 5BA offer a wide range of services to children, adolescents and adults, some you can self refer to, others via your GP.
BRANDON CENTRE https://brandon-centre.org.uk free counselling and therapy for 12 to 24 year olds, their parents and carers. Self referrals accepted.
CAMDEN RECOVERY COLLEGE www.candi.nhs.uk/recoverycollege
Provides free courses for anyone over 18 to aid in recovery from mental illness. Courses and workshops are online at the moment, including 2 sessions on ‘Green Prescription: Growing Plants’
RESOURCES FOR LINKING TO NATURE AND GROWING
CASTLEHAVEN Get Fit, Get Active Get Growing
Sessions every Wednesday from 10.30 to 2.30. https://www.castlehaven.org.uk/whats-on/event/1459/
CONSERVATION VOLUNTEERS GREEN GYM Sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays doing gardening and conservation of green spaces, no experience necessary. Their website also gives info about Adelaide Road Nature Reserve (closed at the moment because of HS2) https://www.tcv.org.uk/london/green-gym-london/camden-green-gym
LONDON PERMACULTURE NETWORK Lots of events and courses plus gardening opportunities at our local Cecil Sharp House https://www.londonpermaculture.com
LONDON WILDLIFE TRUST https://www.wildlondon.org.uk Volunteering opportunities, Camley Street Nature Reserve is still closed but should open this summer.
CAPITAL GROWTH https://www.capitalgrowth.org the network for growing food in London – lots of courses and information.
TRANSITION PRIMROSE HILL Local green group which promotes growing, for example with seed and seedling swaps, email [email protected] to receive the newsletter
ADELAIDE ROAD COMMUNITY GARDEN A tranquil space with small allotments, bee hives and a pond, you can join the waiting list and help with the communal spaces – email [email protected]
- Thriving with Nature – a PDF from the Mental Health Foundation.
- The Well Gardened Mind :Recovering Nature in the Modern World
- Sue Stewart Smith pub William Collins 2020
- Meditations in Nature
- Awakening with Trees
Last Updated on 11th May 2021 by Jason