Local volunteer Alice’s recipe for mulled wine, ready for the Primrose Hill Christmas Drink with the Neighbours (online)
- 1 x 750ml bottle medium-bodied red wine
- 300ml water
- 6 cubes sugar (or 6 heaped tsp)
- 1 orange – sliced
- 3-4 whole cloves (if you want to experiment with more spices, add a star anise and/or 2-3 cardamom pods, or a little grated ginger and 2-3 peppercorns)
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg (or to taste)
- 1 small cinnamon stick (or 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, or to taste)
- 1 small measure strong spirits or orange liqueur (curacao, brandy, grappa, or similar) – optional
How to make
- 1. Put all the ingredients – apart from the spirit/liqueur – into a stainless steel saucepan (or similar), stir well to dissolve the sugar, and cook over low-medium heat for about 15-20 minutes, so it steams gently – DO NOT BOIL!
- 2. During heating, crush the orange slices against the pan to release the flavour.
- 3. Remove from the heat and add the brandy or orange liqueur, then keep covered to avoid the alcohol evaporating and the mulled wine cooling.
- 4. Use a ladle or small jug to fill heat-proof glasses or mugs, keeping back the cloves and other whole spices.
- 5. If storing any mulled wine you haven’t drunk, remove the whole spices and the large pieces of orange, and decant the liquid back into the wine bottle. Keep in the fridge – for a day or two at most – and re-heat gently…
If you would like to donate to the Primrose Hill Community Association you can here: https://www.totalgiving.co.uk/mypage/onlineevents/donate
Last Updated on 14th December 2020 by Jason